Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The beginning to finding Doctor Right.

September 11, 2012
Before I begin I want to take a moment to say we will never forget those lives that were lost today. 

It's hard to start documenting events into words when you have been describing your situation to people for nearly ten years but I'll give it a shot.


When I was 14 years old I was at the peak of what was going to be an amazing four years of high school softball. I can remember it like it was yesterday, I was playing right field and made a throw to home...instantly I began feeling numbness and tingling in my fingers that radiated to my shoulder. It was several days before I got into an Orthopaedic doctor who was known to be very well and his practice was supposed to be the best, in my case that was wrong. 


I presented to his office with snapping in my right scapula, it was minimal and probably could have been described just as light grating with movement and also shoulder pain. Without any imaging except an x-ray, I was scheduled for surgery two days later. Recover seemed to be going well until I discovered in physical therapy that the grating had now exacerbated and turned into full blown snapping when I would raise my arm in front of me,  to the side, and as well as when I would move my neck away from the shoulder. 


To make the next part short, the doctor who performed the operation immediately released me from his care claiming he could not help me and refused to provide anymore information. Red flag number one that he caused more damage by doing the thermal heat shrinking to the anterior portion of my shoulder under my clavicle. Big mistake doc.


Needless to say, I spent the next year suffering, in and out of doctors offices who called me everything from a circus act to the most amazing medical find they had ever seen. I saw a minimum of 15 different doctors from 3 different surrounding states. I spent hundreds of hours in physical therapy, saw a neurologist multiple times, and my parents spent well over there budget hauling me around to all these places. 


I was your average teenage medical mystery.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Lacey,
    How are you today? I've enjoyed reading your blog and would love an update. I sincerely hope you have gotten some relief. I am in the process of trying to get a solid diagnosis....a process that has gone on for two years now. I have lived with pain for years off and on, but now it is constant. First we treated neck last year and now shoulder. Snapping scapula came up in appointment yesterday as one of the clinical diagnosis. My email is kellyjgood@gmail.com. I would love to hear an update and keep in touch.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete