Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Snapping Scapula

I guess before I go any further I should described what's happening with my arm. A snapping scapula has many forms. Some patients have very minor forms and have minimal to no pain at all with movement and they only experience a rubbing sensation with movement. Then there are patients like me, who have the most severe pain imaginable radiating from your back to your shoulder to the tips of your pinkie fingers. I have severe snapping of my scapula over my rib cage. It can be heard, seen, and felt with movement of my right arm. My range of motion is keeping my elbow glued to my side and only being able to function at waist height. I can not grab anything over my head, I'll snap. I can not pick up my kids, I'll snap. I can not hold onto a cup of water, I'll drop it. 

You don't realize how much you rely on your dominant arm until its not functional. 

Normally, and for years, I lived with the pain...since I have other injuries and tear to my shoulder right now, I'm constantly in pain. I can't sleep at night and all day long I try to use refocusing to try to think about something other than the pain. It ranges from soreness all day to a stabbing knife in your lung, or just the bone rubbing over bone is enough to send you into a rage.  I have no other option as a mother but to be 100% for my children during the day, their safety is my number one concern so I can only take medication at night to sleep. I won't let this affect them in anyway, my physical injuries are my injuries, not theirs. Over the last 3 weeks I have exhausted myself by trying to be 100%, but I'm running close to an empty tank and hoping for results soon. I pray daily that October 1st comes quickly and that my surgeon can even help me because I cannot deal with this for the rest of my life. 

My next post is going to be all about my two surgeries that preceded the one I'm hoping to have and the only Doctor in North America that can fix me, Dr. Frederick Matsen in Seattle Washington. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I finally was diagnosed with this today after 1.5 years of trying to convince doctors that my issue is my scapula and NOT my neck! Did you have this same issue in diagnosing?

    ReplyDelete